MEL WHEELER, Inc. in Roanoke and Lynchburg, VA requests your assistance in identifying and locating individuals who may be interested in the following position(s) now available with our company.
Qualified candidates can mail or email their resumes using the information provided, or they can apply online by submitting their information to the bottom of this webpage.
Attn: HR Dept.
Mel Wheeler, Inc.
3934 Electric Road
Roanoke, Virginia 24018
Front Desk Receptionist
Mel Wheeler, Inc. has an opening for a full-time Receptionist. The hours for this position are 8:30 AM to 5:30 PM Monday through Friday.
Provide support to the radio stations as a whole, answering multiple telephone lines and greeting all guests Additional duties include but are not limited to distribution of prizes, maintaining winner spreadsheets, completing affidavits and barter spots, handling incoming and outgoing mail.
Qualifications include Word and Excel, communication skills, time management skills and the ability to manage multiple requests and situations. High school degree or equivalent is required along with prior experience handling phones and greeting guests.
Morning News Anchor
WFIR is still seeking the right morning news anchor candidate for its newsroom in Roanoke. This is not an entry-level job, nor is it one for program hosts. This position requires current experience writing, reporting and anchoring radio news. College degree or equivalent job experience required.
Your primary duties involve assembling, writing, editing and presenting local newscasts within The Roanoke Valley’s Morning News, a four-hour local news program. You will also record newscasts and provide breaking news and other information to five radio stations with listeners in Roanoke, Lynchburg and the New River Valley. This position also requires development of at least one story a day for use in afternoon newscasts. You will need to be able to write and post stories to the WFIR web page and be familiar with news dissemination via social networking sites such as Facebook and Twitter.
The job requires:
- Strong on-air delivery
- Current experience in news gathering and enterprising news stories
- Familiarity with audio editing software
- Ability to run the board during newscasts
- Strong writing skills for broadcast and for the web
- A demonstrated record of reliability
In return, we offer you the opportunity to work for a locally-based broadcast group that holds a dominant position in the Roanoke-Lynchburg-New River Valley market. Roanoke has developed a deserved reputation among cities of its size for its quality of life, especially for people who value outdoor recreation experiences.
Wheeler Broadcasting (WSLC, WXLK, WSLQ, WVBE, WFIR, WLNI, WPLY) is seeking a sales professional to join our excellent sales team. Our business is not just about radio. Through our digital marketing division, we also provide local and regional businesses, digital marketing solutions designed to help our clients aggressively compete across the web. We are looking for marketing experts who have sales experience and want to be a part of the digital advertising revolution. Applicants should have a strong understanding and history of new business development; lead generation and pipeline management. This is a great career opportunity for you if you are financially motivated, performance-driven individual.
- Spend at least 90% of time prospecting leads or presenting to clients
- Consult local and regional businesses to understand their marketing needs and develop digital advertising campaigns
- On-going consultation with clients regarding the performance of their purchased campaigns
- Work closely with internal departments to help fulfill the client’s expectations and execute the advertising campaigns
- Experience in outside business to business selling
- Understanding of marketing and sales principles
- Proven ability to develop new business
- Successful track record of success in maintaining and growing client relationships
- Excellent computer skills
- The ability to represent our company in a professional and trustworthy way that demonstrates your commitment to the clients’ success
Sales or Media experience is preferred. Candidates must have a high school diploma or equivalent, must possess a driver’s license and have a good driving record.
Wheeler Broadcasting (WSLC, WXLK, WSLQ, WVBE, WFIR, WLNI, WPLY) has an opening for an Account Representative on our staff. We are seeking a person who can excel at new business development and serving existing advertising clients. Candidates must be highly motivated with a strong work ethic, and the utmost in integrity. In addition to the skills and talents to do the job, the successful candidate should contribute to making the company a positive place to work for all staff members.
- Possess excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Excel at prospecting, new business development and relationship building
- Have the ability to make in-person sales calls
- Do well at selling concepts to advertising decision makers
- Have good computer skills
Sales or Media Sales experience is preferred. Candidates must have a high school diploma or equivalent, be able to drive, a driver’s license and a good driving record.
Afternoon Air Personality
WSLQ-FM also known as “Q99” is considering the addition of either a full time or part time air personality. WSLQ is looking for an individual with strong experience and talents with internet, web, social media, and other digital platforms. Applicant should be a creative thinker, self-motivated and a strong team player that will contribute to continuing to make Q99 a great place to work. Applicant must be able to do production and remote appearances.